1. #1 1986 Pontiac Fiero Conversion 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    Fiero
    Hello, I am purchasing my friends 1986 Pontiac Fiero Automatic with 18,000 miles for like 2,000$. I was wondering what kind of Ferrari and year I could convert the Fiero to? How would I go about converting it is there a guide or something? Can you order the body offline somewhere? I just seen some cool Fiero conversions at a Car Show and I couldn't get my eye off them.

Any Information is great!

Pontiac Fiero Enthusiast CF Moderator Ravant's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    Fiero 2m4
    I wouldn't bother with a Ferrari conversion. Go with a unique body style. You can get many from many different locations. When I get home from work, I'll compile a list, and probably replace this post with a multi-paragraph breakdown of what you can do with these cars.

No, there's no guide. You're not buying a ferrari body and putting it on a Fiero. Just doesn't work that way. There's a few kits out there, but most are not Ferrari kits, they're just body kits. And - is the engine a 4 or 6 cylinder? The 3-speed automatic is pathetic in the Fiero. Needs a manual or a different automatic.

I'll explain more later.
    1985 Pontiac Fiero 2m4
    There was a list of mods/future mods here, but the list kept changing/updating too rapidly to keep up in a sig. So... screw it.

Atlas Autos - An Auto Review Blog

R.I.P. Angelo Sachak Guidone, Nov. 19th 2007 - Nov. 19th 2007

Pontiac Fiero Enthusiast CF Moderator Ravant's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    Fiero 2m4
    Okay - different body conversions:
    ~Fino full-re-body. $4995.
    ~Finale full-re-body. Also $4995. Can be mixed/matched with the above to produce something unique.
    ~GT4T replicar. They want to build it for you for about $45k, but this also includes suspension, engine, transmission, etc. etc. etc.
    ~Widebody kit. The one I'm personally going with. It's $2250.
    ~Tilt front clips for the Fiero including flush mount headlights. $1895-$2495
    Warning, these next ones are ugly, IMO.
    ~Artero. Roughly $6,000.
    ~Jalapeno. Roughly $4,000.
    ~Scorpion. $4250.
    ~XTC-GT. $4250 without brackets.
    ~ZR-2. $4250 without lights.

That's without doing the interior. There are interior kits out there, hit google. Most are ugly, others are time consuming. Others are expensive. There's only a handful of good ones out there.

Engine swaps are a MUST for a good conversion. 150 horsepower is not NEARLY enough "go" to match the car's "show" if you're going to do a conversion. Archie will whole-heartedly recommend a small-block chevy V8. To me? Not worth it. Go with a turbocharged 4-cyl or a turbocharged 3.8 liter GM V6.

To allow that power to get to the ground reliably, there's no way you can use the stock 3-speed. A stock 2.5 liter Iron Duke's WHOPPING (/sarcasm) 92 horsepower is enough to completely shred that transmission to bits. Imagine what you would do with 250-450 horsepower! I recommend a swap to the GM F23, F35, or F40 transaxle. All three are manuals, the first two being 5-speeds, the latter being a close-ratio 6-speed. All of which are incredibly reliable right through 450 horse.

What about traction? All that power and no traction means you'll probably wreck your new conversion. Swap that 1986 engine cradle out for one out of a 1988 to get a better/larger aftermarket for your rear suspension. Use a Held Motorsports front slalom suspension. If you really want to go overboard like me and get the most traction available, go with a wide-track suspension system. It's certainly more expensive, but makes it all worthwhile. While you're at it, wider wheels, with tires to match. And these tires should be Bridgestone Potenza RE050's. Some of the grippiest street tires available.