1. #1 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mitsubishi
    Model
    Eclipse
    I have a 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T and was wondering if anyone knows the solution to my car problem. Recently, my clutch peddle was leaking brake fluid and was completely soft when stepped on. So I found out it was the clutch master cylinder and had that replaced. However, my gears starts to slip whenever my engine gets hot or is driven for about 30 to 45 min nonstop. Pissed about the gear slipping, I recently had the clutch replaced with a whole new clutch kit. Everything was installed correctlly; however, I still get the gear slippage after the engine gets hot for about 30 minutes. Gears go into perfectly and shift perfectly when the engine is first started, but after the engine warms up, I can still go into gear but the engine just revs up when I step on the gas while leveling with the clutch. In addition, the clutch peddle gets stiffer and stiffer as the engine gets hot, eventually, slipping crazily (goes into gear and out of gear but revs as step on gas). I also adjusted the gear peddle many times, buying me some time before the peddle gets stiff, but this is not how it is supposed to be. I don't wanna spend more money than I should because I was hoping to bring it in to the shop again, so if anyone got answers, that'll be great!

GM / Nissan Tech CF Senior Member YourcarFTL's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Nissan
    Model
    S13
    hows your slave cylinder? and have you properly bled the clutch
    N/A is the expensive way to go slow
    Quote Originally Posted by cycocase View Post
    lowly knuckle-dragging POS Mustang

3. #3 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mitsubishi
    Model
    Eclipse
    I've bled the clutch so many times that I am so tired of it...! I've even cold bled it (engine is cold) and hot bled it (while engine is hot/on) and nothing works. I think my slave cylinder is fine...but will probably be the next thing on my to replace list. Anymore suggestions...cause I'm lost...even after replacing all those parts...! Thanks...!

Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mitsubishi
    Model
    diamante
    your master cylinder is obviously not adjusted correctly.
    The pushrod sounds too far extended, and thus will not allow the clutch master to fully return to its "idle" position.
    when the fluid warms, it expands. This will actually push the clutch release bearing enough to cause slipping.
    Its basically as if you were riding around with your foot always placed on the clutch pedal.

I guarantee thats your problem.

Car Fanatic CF Senior Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Plymouth
    Model
    RoadRunner
    The actual point of clutch engagement is adjustable at the clutch master cylinder rod.I've had customers come in with slipping clutches in high gear,low speed,and i always get up under the dash,track down the gold colored rod that connects the clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder,locate the jam nut,it's usually either a 12mm or 14mm wrench size,break loose the jam nut,back it off,and spin the rod in or out via the threads,and this precisely locates the clutch pedal engagement point where it should be on the clutch pedal travel.Usually,most customers prefer the engagement point to be 2" - 4" off the floor.If the engagement point is too high on the travel,clutch slippage will result.Over normal wear of the clutch,on most passenger cars with adjustment available,the clutch pedal engagement point should be adjusted about once a year,twice a year if you are an aggressive driver,or granny driving adjust it once every two years.I've installed several hundred clutches and master and slave cylinders in 19 years,along with removing and rebuilding automatic transmissions of most makes and models.A master cylinder,whether brake or clutch,should be chucked up in a vise and bench bled.This eliminates hours of bleeding in car.

6. #6 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mitsubishi
    Model
    Eclipse
    Yea, I've adjusted the clutch pedal many times to where the engagement point meets and yet the problem still persist. I've adjusts it so much that I've ran out of idea. So now, I have to adjust the clutch very low to where the engagement point almost touches the floor just to make it last long enough before the car heats up and make the clutch pedal very stiff. As mentioned before, the clutch pedal is soft and works fine when the engine is cool, but becomes very stiff as it heats up maknig the clutch peddle very hard to step on. Any more advice....?