1. #1 2001 Mits Spyder Transmission 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mitsubishi
    Model
    spyder gt
    My auto tranny F4A51 will not engage in any gear. I here the solenoids buzzing for 8-10 sec then nothing. My error codes ar P 0760 & P 0765 Solenoid malfunctions. Either they are hung up on a sticking valve or there is a nother signal the transmission isn't getting to place the valve in the c correct position. Is there any way without removing the transmission to see whats going on in there?

Thanks

GM / Nissan Tech CF Senior Member YourcarFTL's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Nissan
    Model
    S13
    hook it up to a good transmission scanner, should be able to tell you what you need to know.
    N/A is the expensive way to go slow
    Quote Originally Posted by cycocase View Post
    lowly knuckle-dragging POS Mustang

Car Fanatic CF Senior Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Plymouth
    Model
    RoadRunner
    It is common for this transmission as well as alot of Mitsu auto's to have solenoid problems.I replace them with new Rostra solenoid assemblies on every rebuild.The pan can be removed,then the valve body removed,and new solenoids installed on the valve body if one knows what they are doing.The manual valve is easy to miss on the reinstallation of the valve body.Seeing that it has solenoid codes,it likely does have malfunctioning solenoids.The actual solenoids themselves can be tested with a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM),and can be "click" checked with 12 volts at a low 2 amperage supply.I have at work whats called a breakout box.You hook it to the transmission connector,as well the vehicle wiring harness,and with this breakout box,in conjunction with my DVOM,i can ohms check,and amps check the solenoids.The breakout box also allows manual control of the transmission eliminating the vehicle wiring harness and computer.It also allows one to monitor the commands from the computer,to the trans.Good luck.

4. #4 Thanks 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mitsubishi
    Model
    spyder gt
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidTransit3
    It is common for this transmission as well as alot of Mitsu auto's to have solenoid problems.I replace them with new Rostra solenoid assemblies on every rebuild.The pan can be removed,then the valve body removed,and new solenoids installed on the valve body if one knows what they are doing.The manual valve is easy to miss on the reinstallation of the valve body.Seeing that it has solenoid codes,it likely does have malfunctioning solenoids.The actual solenoids themselves can be tested with a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM),and can be "click" checked with 12 volts at a low 2 amperage supply.I have at work whats called a breakout box.You hook it to the transmission connector,as well the vehicle wiring harness,and with this breakout box,in conjunction with my DVOM,i can ohms check,and amps check the solenoids.The breakout box also allows manual control of the transmission eliminating the vehicle wiring harness and computer.It also allows one to monitor the commands from the computer,to the trans.Good luck.
    This sounds like a job that is a little beyond my capability. Would you reccomend a transmission shop or the dealer? Which is the lesser of two evils!!

Car Fanatic CF Senior Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Plymouth
    Model
    RoadRunner
    Take it to a trans shop and tell them you only want shift solenoids installed.Use Rostra's too.They cost about $150.....cost.Mitsu dealer will charge 2-3 times what a trans shop will.Labor would be 2,maybe 3 hours @ $85/hour labor rate.Fluid and filter too.The trans shop may want to order the solenoids for you,and charge you double or triple to make money off the parts.Your other option is to locate a Dacco Detroit store in your area,or TranStar,and buy them your self.

Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mitsubishi
    Model
    diamante
    its not the solenoids, as they are NOT a common failure. Even if they would have failed, you would still have the ability to move.
    also, using PCM codes to diagnose the trans is a terrible idea, as they are generic codes. you need to be able to access the TCM for correct diagnostic codes.

unfortunatly, you probably have no pump pressure being generated due to broken low/reverse wave spring that managed to get ingested into the pump, thereby destroying it.
    If the car doesnt move at all, you can pretty much be sure that its a mechanical failure.

7. #7 It's the pump, not the solenoids. 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mitsubishi
    Model
    Eclipse Spyder GT
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6 3.0
    My transmission did exactly what everyone else said. One clunk and went out of gear with flashing neutral light. Tore down transaxle and found the broken wave spring, seized front pump, and even a few pieces still in the OUTPUT side of the oil filter. Combination of poor filter and faulty wave spring makes it just a matter of time. If it hasn't happened yet, on your next service, CHANGE and UPGRADE the filter at a minimum. Replace the wave spring with the new one-piece if you can afford it. Worth not paying for the tow!!!! The 8-10 seconds of buzzing you hear are the solenoids working on pistons with no pressure behind them.

Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mitsubishi
    Model
    Eclipse Spyder GT
    I had the same problem this morning except my car drove home. it wasnt pretty but it made it. I was driving down the road when it was like the car went into neutral, the nuetral lite was flashing and nothing for pulling power unless i was at about 3500 rpm. when I got home I put a solus scanner on it and it gave me the following codes P0765-overdrive solenoid P0760-Second solenoid P0755-underdrive solenoid and a P0750-low/reverse solenoid. it also had codes 44, 46, 41 and 42 wich is gear ratios. but sitting there for a while with the car in drive it started working fine again. I turned it off for a while went back to it and still fine. what does that sound like ? From what I have read all over the internet if it was the wave spring it wouldnt move at all mine still does What gives?

GM / Nissan Tech CF Senior Member YourcarFTL's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Nissan
    Model
    S13