Reply to Thread

Thread: what do you think about transtar???

1. #1 what do you think about transtar??? 
    Car Enthusiast CF Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Chevrolet
    Model
    caprice classic

hi all
    before 3 months i rebuild my transmission and the man told who is working in the garage the best rebuild kit we have is transtar
    what do you think about this company(transtar)?
    my car is Chevrolet caprice 1991

Car Fanatic CF Senior Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Plymouth
    Model
    RoadRunner
    I get parts from Transtar,which just recently absorbed Axiom about every day during the week.Also WIT (Whatever It Takes) and Dacco Detroit.Transtar is pretty good,good quality,ALL of them get parts wrong seems like too often.91 Caprice is a 700 R 4 trans...use a banner overhaul kit with steels,bushing kit,filter,thrust washer kit,torrington bearing kit,"beast" heavy duty sun shell,high energy 2/4 band,SK700 Jr.shift kit with "no stick TV valve",Raybestos "Z" pack 3/4 clutches and late model upper and lower pressure plates,input sprag,low roller clutch,TCC solenoid and pressure switch,1-2 and 3-4 accumulator pistons,and a remanufactured torque convertor.To upgrade the trans,and update the forward/coast/3-4 drum to later model improved parts, bonded rubber pistons and spring cage can be installed,5 pinion low/reverse planetary,corvette servo or billet racing servo,wait,that's bordering on a race build.The first list is a standard one on all my 700 builds,and they will typically go at LEAST 10 years and 100k miles.You also need alot of specialty tools to build this unit like the Low/Reverse spring compressor,a set of bushing drivers,drum press,sizing tools for the teflon sealing rings,oil pump banding alignment tool.

Car Enthusiast CF Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Chevrolet
    Model
    caprice classic
    do you think the quality of transtar clutches like the original clutches
    or close to it
    before 3 months i rebuild my transmission when the transmission need to be rebuild it again if im using car in good way and changing oil transmission and filter every 6 months
    be cause some people you have to rebuild it at least after 3 years?
    what do you think guys???????????

Car Enthusiast CF Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Chevrolet
    Model
    caprice classic
    be cause some people told me you have to rebuild it at least after 3 years?
    what do you think guys???????????

Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Plymouth
    Model
    RoadRunner
    If you build the trans correctly with my above parts list,and set end play and clutch pack clearances correctly,there's no reason the trans shoudln't go 10 years or 100k miles.If you're not replacing all the worn components like the teflon sealing rings and bushings because you don't have the proper tools,then no,it's not going to last very long.Transstar parts like the clutch plates are either Borg Warner or Raybestos which is about as good as it gets as far as quality.There are racing clutch disks that are very expensive but not really needed in a 200 horsepower street car.Longevity is more about attention to detail,thoroughness,knowledge,and having the correct tools to do the job right,and properly replace ALL the worn components and items.A friend of mine has a 66 Mustang that i rebuilt the C4 trans way back in 1986 i do believe..........22 years later,it is STILL going strong,and never been back out.

Car Enthusiast CF Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Chevrolet
    Model
    caprice classic
    he rebuild it with with transtar rebuild kit
    and he told me your transmission is OK but the problem from clutches
    and then he change the old bad parts in transmission with new parts from transtar rebuild kit(in the photo) then he changes the oil and filter with acdelco
    filter and oil transmission
    is there something else i have to do?

Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Chevrolet
    Model
    Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidTransit3
    I get parts from Transtar,which just recently absorbed Axiom about every day during the week.Also WIT (Whatever It Takes) and Dacco Detroit.Transtar is pretty good,good quality,ALL of them get parts wrong seems like too often.91 Caprice is a 700 R 4 trans...use a banner overhaul kit with steels,bushing kit,filter,thrust washer kit,torrington bearing kit,"beast" heavy duty sun shell,high energy 2/4 band,SK700 Jr.shift kit with "no stick TV valve",Raybestos "Z" pack 3/4 clutches and late model upper and lower pressure plates,input sprag,low roller clutch,TCC solenoid and pressure switch,1-2 and 3-4 accumulator pistons,and a remanufactured torque convertor.To upgrade the trans,and update the forward/coast/3-4 drum to later model improved parts, bonded rubber pistons and spring cage can be installed,5 pinion low/reverse planetary,corvette servo or billet racing servo,wait,that's bordering on a race build.The first list is a standard one on all my 700 builds,and they will typically go at LEAST 10 years and 100k miles.You also need alot of specialty tools to build this unit like the Low/Reverse spring compressor,a set of bushing drivers,drum press,sizing tools for the teflon sealing rings,oil pump banding alignment tool.
    hamad954 forgive me for hijacking your thread but RapidTransit3 post is the kind of information I have been trying to find. I am ready to buy parts for a rebuild of my '83 2004R transmission. This is my first attempt to rebuild an auto. I need all the help I can get. I have the transmission disassembled. I am planning to use a Transgo HD2 shift kit and Transtar rebuild kit (which one?). I would like to hear from RapidTransit3 with his info on a 2004R and anyone else who would like to offer help.

charlie

Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Plymouth
    Model
    RoadRunner
    Quote Originally Posted by cgc68
    hamad954 forgive me for hijacking your thread but RapidTransit3 post is the kind of information I have been trying to find. I am ready to buy parts for a rebuild of my '83 2004R transmission. This is my first attempt to rebuild an auto. I need all the help I can get. I have the transmission disassembled. I am planning to use a Transgo HD2 shift kit and Transtar rebuild kit (which one?). I would like to hear from RapidTransit3 with his info on a 2004R and anyone else who would like to offer help.

charlie
    I know you are new here,but first let me take the oppurtunity to welcome you to CF Let me also inform you that ressurecting an OLD thread is called Necro'ing (short for necrophiliac).Maybe try starting a new thread.Go to the CF Homepage,pick a topic,such as Chevrolet,General Automotive,etc.,and the upper left hand of the screen will have a box for "New Thread".........then we'll talk about 200-4-R's......I've built a few.