Car Enthusiast CF Member xjtkxx's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Acura
    Model
    Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Derik123derik123 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I was told that was due to the rotary engine?
    But, if it's in good shape... do you think I would be able to talk them down any?
    Is there anything I should be looking for, particularly?
    You can try and get them to drop it, but that's already a pretty fair price. $8,500 would be a nice deal. I was looking at a couple of Rx8's and basically the rotary engine is a bit finicky to say the least. You basically need to check your oil about every 400 miles, essentially every time you fill up with gas. Your mileage is going to be terrible, scraping the low 20's if you're lucky. And when you need to do a cold start, the rotary can be annoying (or so I hear). One thing that the salesman told me that I thought was odd was that when you start it cold, it won't like to rev past 3-4 thousand until it's warmed up (it'll also feel sluggish). He said the way around this was to floor it and let it bounce off the rev limiter for a bit, or to just let it warm up on its own. On the bright side, the rotary is an engine that likes to be driven hard, and is hella fun to drive, just has its quirks though.

Car Enthusiast CF Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Dodge
    Model
    Avenger
    Quote Originally Posted by xjtkxx View Post
    You can try and get them to drop it, but that's already a pretty fair price. $8,500 would be a nice deal. I was looking at a couple of Rx8's and basically the rotary engine is a bit finicky to say the least. You basically need to check your oil about every 400 miles, essentially every time you fill up with gas. Your mileage is going to be terrible, scraping the low 20's if you're lucky. And when you need to do a cold start, the rotary can be annoying (or so I hear). One thing that the salesman told me that I thought was odd was that when you start it cold, it won't like to rev past 3-4 thousand until it's warmed up (it'll also feel sluggish). He said the way around this was to floor it and let it bounce off the rev limiter for a bit, or to just let it warm up on its own. On the bright side, the rotary is an engine that likes to be driven hard, and is hella fun to drive, just has its quirks though.
    Thank you for your reply man. I appreciate it.
    Yeah I figured i wouldn't be able to talk them down anymore. the KBB is around $12k.. so $9900 isn't bad. If I could get it for $8500 that would be a good deal, assuming there isn't anything majoring wrong with it, would that be a good deal?
    and the gas milage doesn't really bother me.. I get about 18-23 in my avenger I have now. so it won't be that large of a change.
    But that is interesting about the cold starts. I'll have to look into it.
    If i do end up getting this car, I'll need to read up about maintenance for them.

Is there anything else I should know, going into look at it?

Car Fanatic CF Senior Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    Sunfire
    I personally like the looks of the Rx8's, but know nothing of the mechanical sorry. Maybe try and find a Rx forum online and either read some general posts or ask questions. Most forums have a newbie section and know what to look out for and maintenance issues