Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is it possible as far as anyone knows to make a supercar(s) by onesself?

Uh-Oh Oreo Supporting Member Shpuker's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Other
    Model
    My Feet
    **** it, buy a rolling chassis Lotus Elise, change the body with the expertise in auto body work I assume your gonna posses, then drop in a new twin turbo LS1 with a strong as **** transmission and a durable as hell rear end, and have fun!.... Wait a second... That sounds familliar

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    I'm too big of a pussy to comprehend things.
    Quote Originally Posted by MooCowMan View Post

I'm Abe Lincoln and I like to ride around on a pink giraffe that can whistle the Indiana Jones theme song and while wearing a tie. Yes. A tie.

King of Post Whores CF Moderator Deano's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Honda
    Model
    Accord EX V6 sedan
    Hennessy = epic win...
    Jack Bauer can divide by zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Shpuker View Post
    So I'm racist, hate Mexicans, and like to Jew off points made elsewhere to try and make it seem like I'm in fact not racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by blah View Post
    and it was moist, which is the worst
    Quote Originally Posted by MooCowMan View Post
    I go both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. BBQ View Post
    I CHALLENGE YOU TO A BEAT OFF!

Uh-Oh Oreo Supporting Member Shpuker's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Other
    Model
    My Feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Hennessy = epic win...
    I no rite? Car is amazing.

Oh and its an LS9 not an LS1 apparently lol

Pinko Commie Ricer CF Moderator blah's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Toyota
    Model
    minivan coupe
    ls1 is sooooo 10 years ago
    In life you have to do a lot of things you don't ****ing want to do. Many times, that's what the **** life is... one vile ****ing task after another. But don't get aggravated.... then the enemy has you by the short-hairs.

Pontiac Fiero Enthusiast CF Moderator Ravant's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    Fiero 2m4
    Alright, instead of editing, here goes.

To build a supercar, you have to mix many elements of art, engineering, design and basic physics. The car doesn't only have to be fast, it has to look the part, too. And we're not talking about only the the outside, but on the inside as well. Everything has to fit together like a perfectly-made puzzle. Everything has to be as comfortable at 10 MPH as it is at 110 MPH, at 1 vertical G as it is at 1 lateral G. Yeah, it has to be able to sustain 1 lateral G as well.

Chassis:
    You need a strong chassis. Not just a quick roller made for your average 1920's rat-rod, no. You need a chassis that has crumple and tear-away zones up front and in the back that will also allow zero cabin intrusion. Because this car will be capable of exceeding the 200 MPH barrier, you will /probably/ want to use the strongest materials possible and space-frame engineering.

Space frame?

Yes space frame. Not like "Space Shuttle." A space frame is a frame construct that allows you to make a frame significantly stronger without adding too much material. So stronger + lighter = awesome. Space frames, how the heck do those work? Well, think of cardboard. All it is, is paper. Flimsy, ordinary brown paper. Well, when paper's arranged and shaped properly, it becomes significantly more rigid, capable of holding things many many times its own weight. Same applies to any material, be it iron, steel, titanium, fiberglass or carbon fiber. You're likely not going to be able to do this on your own, at home. It would require a computer to design and simulate all of the potential loads on the material. If done wrong, a space-frame would just accordion in a wreck. If done right, it can generate an incredibly lightweight, safe chassis.

Instead, what you can do is make a tube-frame chassis. Take a look at the Ariel Atom. It's basically a tube frame exo-skeleton, because in the interest of lightness, they forewent a body almost entirely. You could use that as a template, or make something a little larger using the right tubing welded properly at the proper angles for maximum strength and safety, including tear-away and crumple zones up front and in the rear to minimize the chance that energy transfers into the cabin. As far as the design, I'm not going to get into it here, but unless you're very comfortable with math, physics, materials and welding, you should defer chassis design to someone else.

Engine:
    The heart of your supercar. Not only do you want it to be powerful and versatile, but you want the exhaust note to resonate with performance-minded individuals to raise goosebumps. You could go with a V8, V6, I4, V12, W16... turbo, supercharged, naturally aspirated... small displacement, large displacement... the engine has to fit the platform. For example, if you're making a 1700-pound track monster, chances are, you're going to want a tiny-displacement V8 or a small-displacement turbocharged I4. If you're making a 2500-pound world-beater, you're probably going to want to go with a V8. If you're making a high-quality, prestigious vehicle designed to make people jealous? V12. Definitely a V12. Mind you, the power has to reach the ground, so over-powering the car can be disastrous on the balance of the vehicle.

Transmission:
    How many gears? Manual? Auto? Dual-clutch? Make your choices wisely, as the transmission affects driving dynamics as much as the engine does. Gears that are too short waste your engine's power production as smoke from the tires. Gears that are too tall bog your engine and don't allow your engine to get the power to the ground effectively. Gearing that's spaced too far apart in terms of ratios will cause longer times between shifts. Gearing that's too close will render one or more gears entirely useless. What about the final drive ratio? Too tall, and you'll never hit your theoretical top speed, while acceleration takes a strong hit. Too short, and you'll roast your tires through first, second and probably third gears. A manual transmission will be the lightest of the three, offering your driver the utmost in control over every aspect of his or her car. While technically the hardest to drive, and taking the longest time to shift, manual operation of the clutch and gears can potentially allow a driver to achieve higher times around a track than cars equipped with the other transmission types. The Automatic has the most power loss of all three systems, is the heaviest, but shifts the smoothest with a faster shift time than a manual, but slower than a dual-clutch. The dual-clutch will shift in less than a tenth of a second, but the clutches are controlled automatically. It's the fastest shifting, but has more inherent power loss than a regular manual transmission.

Alright, that's as far as I'm going tonight with this.
    1985 Pontiac Fiero 2m4
    There was a list of mods/future mods here, but the list kept changing/updating too rapidly to keep up in a sig. So... screw it.

Atlas Autos - An Auto Review Blog

R.I.P. Angelo Sachak Guidone, Nov. 19th 2007 - Nov. 19th 2007

Car Enthusiast CF Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mitsubishi
    Model
    Lancer
    gotta admit i dont know how i feel about hybrid super cars (hybrid meaning taking a car and then modifying them)