1. #1 2005 Saab 9-7x AWD problem 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Saab
    Model
    9-7x
    I just picked up the new Saab SUV, a 2005 used car with 5k miles. My previous car, which I kept, is a 1998 Chevy Blazer. Here's the problem:

First of all, from what I can tell from reading a little bit on the subject, the Saab has "on-demand AWD." This means that in normal driving conditions, it is a rear-wheel drive car, but when the rear wheels slip, the front engage to provide better AWD traction.

So, the problem? Well, compared to the Blazer, the Saab SUCKS in snow. Today was the first day driving it with slippery road conditions, and I noticed a couple of things:

1) If the rear tires slip, and spin fast, the front axle will not engage, so you're stuck with 2WD in potentially hazardous conditions.

2) On slippery surfaces, if the rear wheels are not spinning, the front will not be engaged. HEre's the problem with that. What if you are heading into a corner, and your rear wheels are not spinning? You will only be in 2WD. The problem is the front wheels can easier plow when manuvering a corner than if they were engaged, as with the older Blazer.

I've done some searching to find discussions about this, and I cannot find anyone with similar concerns. Am I alone in these findings? Am I missing something? Is there a way to engage the AWD while driving in snow so that it will stay engaged?

My thoughts of this system, after driving on a snow-covered road are that it REALLY SUCKS. The 1998 Blazer 4WD is FAR superior. Am I alone?

Mayor of CF
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mazda
    Model
    RX-7
    I wish I could help you out but I'm not too familiary with Saab. I'll bump this for you though and hopefully in the morning someone can help you out. Welcome to CF btw & happy new year!

Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Saab
    Model
    9-7x
    Thanks Mike, and happy new year to you too.

Product of the Industry CF Supermod CRUISECONTROL's Avatar
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Chevrolet
    Model
    Silverado Z71
    I would contact the dealership with the problem that you are having............ There may possibly be a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on the Scenario............ If not at least they will be able to test your AWD sys accordingly..........

Good luck

Sorry I dont have more info
    "Don't dream of success, Stay awake and achieve it"

5. #5 Very Poor AWD Saab 2005 9-7X. It TURELY SUCKS!!! 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Saab
    Model
    9-7X Linear
    Quote Originally Posted by jasoncg1
    I just picked up the new Saab SUV, a 2005 used car with 5k miles. My previous car, which I kept, is a 1998 Chevy Blazer. Here's the problem:

First of all, from what I can tell from reading a little bit on the subject, the Saab has "on-demand AWD." This means that in normal driving conditions, it is a rear-wheel drive car, but when the rear wheels slip, the front engage to provide better AWD traction.

So, the problem? Well, compared to the Blazer, the Saab SUCKS in snow. Today was the first day driving it with slippery road conditions, and I noticed a couple of things:

1) If the rear tires slip, and spin fast, the front axle will not engage, so you're stuck with 2WD in potentially hazardous conditions.

2) On slippery surfaces, if the rear wheels are not spinning, the front will not be engaged. HEre's the problem with that. What if you are heading into a corner, and your rear wheels are not spinning? You will only be in 2WD. The problem is the front wheels can easier plow when manuvering a corner than if they were engaged, as with the older Blazer.

I've done some searching to find discussions about this, and I cannot find anyone with similar concerns. Am I alone in these findings? Am I missing something? Is there a way to engage the AWD while driving in snow so that it will stay engaged?

My thoughts of this system, after driving on a snow-covered road are that it REALLY SUCKS. The 1998 Blazer 4WD is FAR superior. Am I alone?

Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Saab
    Model
    9-7X Linear
    With less than a 1000 miles on this Swiss/G.M Piece of Crap it will more than likely slide off the road in the snow and thats where I will leave it !!!!!! It has a hard time pulling up into a driveway with snow on the ground and don't turn the steering wheel right or left as the SUV goes where it wants on very light snow covered roadways... It's like trying to run on ice in street shoes....

Swedish Knight CF Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Clemens
    With less than a 1000 miles on this Swiss/G.M Piece of Crap
    My god.

CF's Pimp CF Senior Member
    idiots.. it's a Subaru WRX that's been spiffed up a tad.

Pilot CF Senior Member
    you might want to edit that post there sir....the 9-7X is a re-engineered Trailblazer...

the 9-2X is what you speak of. I'm sure it would do much better
    <><

Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Saab
    Model
    97X
    I just purchased the new Saab 97X in January. I had a 2003 Olds Bravada that I gave to my wife. Both vehicles run GM's AWD system with the Saab having Stabilitak as well. We live in northern Alberta Canada and obviously we do alot of winter driving. i was reluctant to give the Bravada to my wife as i found the AWD system was useless on icy or snow packed roads. The back end would come around and was like driving a 2wd vehicle. The problem I found was not with the AWD system but with the tires that come with the vehicle from factory. useless on ice and too wide that they pushed snow. Even though the Michelins that came with the Bravada were " all terrain " they weren't " all season ". Before i gave the Bravada to my wife I bought a good set of winter tires to see how the AWD system would work with them. The difference is huge. No tail spin as the rear winter tires grip is instant. I found it very difficult to make the rear break free and even when it did the fronts did there job. I am going to get through this winter with the bridgestones that come with the Saab but before next winter I will purchase a set of winter tires. obviously the tires that come from factory are not made for strictly winter conditions. get a set of good winter tires and you should notice a big difference.