1. #1 Escape/Mariner oil change 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mercury
    Model
    Mariner Hybrid
    Want to start changing my own oil, but could use confirmation on steps, as I've never changed only the filter element before.

There is a cylindrical aluminum housing attached to the block at the center front of the enging. It is capped at the bottom with a black plastic end-piece with a silver hexkeyed screw in the center. From my reading it seems like that is the filter housing and I need to remove the black plastic cap to drop the element. Is that correct?

Is the silver screw in the center of the cap a drain? Do I unscrew that first to drain the old oil out of the filter housing?

I assume that the black plastic cap is threaded into the housing. Is that correct? Normal right hand threads?

I have read that element kits come with 2 new O-rings. Not sure where 2 would go, but that's what I read. My element (a Purolator L15505) came with 1 large ring that looks like it would seal the black plastic cap. Should there be 2 or 1?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Ford
    Model
    F-150
    wish i could show you a visual walkthrough for an oil change on this car. a repair manual would be helpful.

anyway, yes, the cartridge oil filter is inside that housing. the silver plug on the end of the cap is to drain some of the oil out. once you remove it, you'll notice a small black o-ring at the base. replace it with a new one. then you can fit an normal filter wrench on the black cap and remove it. this cap will have a much larger o-ring at its base. replace it. within the cap will be the filter element. simply pull it off the center post and push the new one on. wipe off any oil on the cap and mating surface of the engine. reinstalling the plug and cap hand-tight until snug. DO NOT USE A FILTER WRENCH TO TIGHTEN THE CAP OR OVERTORQUE THE SILVER PLUG.
    Warheads on Foreheads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sareena
    Get it on video so I have something to fap to later please!
    Quote Originally Posted by AM
    Scion tC: Strong enough for a man, but made for a young woman.

3. #3 Thanks 
    Car Enthusiast CF Newbie
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    Mercury
    Model
    Mariner Hybrid
    Thanks. No need for a visual walk-thru. Your answer is exactly what I needed. Only issue is the missing O-ring for the plug. If the old one is deformed, I will have to pick one up. Shouldn't be too hard for that small size. If old one looks good, I will reuse it.

Thanks again, Barry

Retired CF Moderator CF Senior Member
    Vehicle Profile:
    Year
    Make
    GMC
    Model
    GMC, Night Rod Special, Jetta
    Wait, you drain the oil from the oil filter on those? Glad you answer this first Alch, cause I R lawst. LOL
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson