PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Geo Metro 4 Cyl, Auto transmission fluid

Willgeo6
07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
When I purchased my 1996 Geo Metro LSI 4 Cyl, 1.3L automatic, the transmission fluid was very high on the dipstick, from the previous owner. What problems can this cause and could he have possibly been trying to cover up a problem by overfilling it? How much fluid does it hold at regular capacity?:headscrat

RapidTransit3
07-12-2008, 07:14 AM
That trans is the MX17 aka A210 model 3 speed.More than likely,either the owner or you,aren't or didn't check the fluid level correctly,giving a false reading,or the trans was serviced,and the technician just put in too much fluid.The owner's manual,and alot of times the dipstick itself will tell you how to check the fluid level.Car sitting on LEVEL ground,engine wamred up fully to operating temperature,and i think on that trans check in PARK.You look at both sides of the stick,and go by the side that's LOWEST.If overfilled,suck some fluid out,or service the trans,and set the fluid level correctly.The worst thing that will happen with an overfilled autotrans is that the excess fluid will get on the rotating assembly,and that will cause the fluid to get air bubbles in it,aka frothing,or aeration.This isn't extremely detrimental,but it's a not a good thing either.

estricklin
07-12-2008, 09:39 AM
I have seen an overfilled auto blow fluid out of the pressure relief valve have you seen this before rapid?

RapidTransit3
07-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Matter of fact,yes,now that you mention it,mostly comes out of the vent if WAY overfilled.I have a little story about that too,lol.I was at a shop,R&R guy pulled the trans out of a 96 or 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee,had the A500 trans,the little 904 with overdrive,and the vent is made into the pump located just off 12 o'clock.Well,built the unit,R&R guy installed it,fluided it up,ran it worked good,test drove worked good,came back leaking out the front.Racked it up,looked at it...yeah,leaking from the front area.Had the R&R guy pull it back out..this is a 4x4 too.Resealed the whole front pump,another new pump bushing and seal,o ring and gasket and bolt sealing washers,and warrantied the BRAND new torque convertor.R&R guy installed.....same thing..out again.Well,this went on for pulling the trans in and out about 4 or 5 times.At one point i asked him how much fluid are you putting in?He says..."uhhhh,about 12 quarts"....WHAT?!?!?!?!?!....That trans only holds about 9 or 10 quarts total,dry,with a new empty convertor.He had inadvertently grabbed a dipstick that was laying around from something else...a 604 Dodge Caravan,which is much shorter than the correct stick.Had so much fluid in it,it was coming out of the vent,which is located on the pump.....Jeez.Talk about pull your hair out,and turn it gray.

estricklin
07-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Oh that would suck!! Thats like the time I put the clutch AND rear main seal in backward.

Willgeo6
07-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks RT3. I checked it as you described at operating temp and cold. The dipstick has both levels marked on it. It was equally over the mark at each level. I did not get a manual with the car so I am not able to look up fluid capacities. It ran though my mind that maybe it had the right amount of fluid in it but the wrong dipstick so I want to ask first. Do you know the approximate amount of fluid that this car takes? Is it as simple as draining it and adding new? No filters? No flushing necessary? Also, what is the recommended brand and type of fluid?

RapidTransit3
07-13-2008, 08:55 AM
I have the fill and fluid capacities at work, i would guess about 3 quarts on a service,the fluid type will be Dexron 3.Another note....if the level is just slightly over,don't worry about it.Where you see the crosshatch marks...from here [xxxxxxxx] to here,the space from the bottom of the crosshatch to the top of the crosshatch is about a pint of fluid..or half a quart.If the fluid level is over by a pint..don't worry about it.Not overfilled enough to bother with.