PDA

View Full Version : Am I legally able to drive?

JRinke
03-22-2006, 12:27 PM
I live in South Carolina and I recently had a foot operation. I now have a cast on my right foot and will so for another 3 1/2 weeks. I have already had a post-surgery splint on for 2 weeks and have become well acustomed to the feeling of the cast. Now my concerns are to whether of not I can legally drive my car. My parents do not believe that I can legally drive. I on the other hand am not sure of the legallity of this situation but feel more than able to control the pedals on the car and see it no more different than driving with thick-souled boots.

blah
03-22-2006, 12:53 PM
i'm no expert, but until one comes along i'd have to say no. not sure if the laws are the same down there, but in va you can't even drive without shoes because of the risk of your foot slipping off the pedal or something like that

JRinke
03-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Well, Ive been reading over the Code of Laws on Motor Vehicles, Code of Laws on Motor Vehicles (http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t56c005.htm) and I cant find anything on even wearing shoes let alone having a cast. South Carolina has one of the countries highest insurance prices for a reason.

Aurai
03-22-2006, 02:49 PM
the thing with not wearing shoes is that while it's not technically illegal (even though cops and everyone else will tell you it is), if you get in an accident and you were not wearing shoes the insurance company doesn't have to cover you. i have a friend that got pulled over and wasn't wearing shoes and didn't have any in the car with her, the cop couldn't give her a citation or anything but he did mention about the insurance.

but about the cast, are you checking the code of laws on motor vehicles in general? or specific to your state?? make sure you're checking specific to your state. i'm pretty sure if you got in an accident, that would count against you. are you driving stick or automatic? which foot is the cast on??

JRinke
03-22-2006, 03:56 PM
I drive a stick and its on my right foot and im checking state specific laws. And i only have liability level of insurance anyways

Aurai
03-22-2006, 04:28 PM
i'm going to say that yes, it is legal however, not very safe. i don't believe that they can make it illegal because if an individual has no one to rely on they have to drive their car. i know it's not illegal in wisconsin...
if you think about it, the weight and size of the cast is going to change how your foot presses the petal on the car, as well as the fact that you're going to be pressing (x) hard on the gas or brake and in turn (x) plus ((z)-weight of cast) will really be pressing down. - in turn possibly causing an accident..

JRinke
03-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Yes, Ive considered this. I wanted to do some driving around in a parking lot like the good ole days getting used to how drive with it.

Escalade
03-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Its illegal for you to drive.

In most states, its illegal to drive without some form of shoe on.

hi55us
03-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Its illegal for you to drive.

In most states, its illegal to drive without some form of shoe on.
It is Illegal to drive without shoes on, I would not drive it could be dangerious

hi55us
03-23-2006, 01:21 PM
It is Illegal to drive without shoes on, I would not drive it could be dangerious
:rockon: :rockon: MY 500th post!!!!!! :rockon:

JRinke
03-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, better safe than sorry I suppose. Thanks for the info guys.

Aurai
03-23-2006, 04:06 PM
FYI
American States
Alabama:
Barefoot Driving: Operation of a motor vehicle by a driver with bare feet is permitted. Exception: motorcycle rider.

Ohio:
Barefoot Driving: Operation of a motor vehicle by a driver with bare feet is permitted but not recommended.

California:
Barefoot Driving: Operation of a motor vehicle by a driver with bare feet is not prohibited.

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware,Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming:
Barefoot Driving: Operation of a motor vehicle by a driver with bare feet is permitted.

http://tafkac.org/legal/driving.barefoot/driving_barefoot.html

there are also letters to prove that the statements are in fact from law enforcement entities.

blah
03-23-2006, 04:41 PM
funny, the illegal thing is something they tried to hammer in quite a few times in driver's ed. i'm in virginia too

STi_LOVER
03-23-2006, 06:42 PM
It is definitely illegal to drive with a cast on. Its too hard and very dangerous especially if you drive a manual. When I was in High School I broke my foot and my mom had to drive me to school for like 6 weeks. It was really embarrassing.