PDA

View Full Version : How-To: Make Your Own Windshield Wiper Fluid

IKnowHow-To
10-25-2005, 10:08 PM
How-To: Make Your Own Windshield Wiper Fluid

This is an inexpensive way to fill back up your windshield wiper fluid resevoir when it gets low.

1. Combine 2 1/2 - 3 cups of window cleaner with 1 gallon of water.

2. Mix well, and then open the hood of your car.

3. Find the windshield washer fluid resevoir and open the lid. Next poor the contents you just created into the resevoir until it is full.

4. Close the lid and shut the hood, you're all done and you spent half the $$ of buying premixed windshielf wiper fluid. Do make sure that you dilute the solution in enough water, too much window cleaner will leave streaks on your windshield.

Taz
03-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I just use dishwashing liquid with water :)

Canuck
03-12-2007, 06:42 AM
How-To: Make Your Own Windshield Wiper Fluid

This is an inexpensive way to fill back up your windshield wiper fluid resevoir when it gets low.

This is, actually, an EXPENSIVE way to try and save a few cents.

1. Combine 2 1/2 - 3 cups of window cleaner with 1 gallon of water.

2. Mix well, and then open the hood of your car.

3. Find the windshield washer fluid resevoir and open the lid. Next poor the contents you just created into the resevoir until it is full.

4. Close the lid and shut the hood, you're all done and you spent half the $$ of buying premixed windshielf wiper fluid. Do make sure that you dilute the solution in enough water, too much window cleaner will leave streaks on your windshield.

You forgot a few steps......

5 Discover entire system frozen after a day/night outside in the Northeast.

6. Disassemble entire system to thaw.

7. Kill a couple of hours by going to dealer to purchase new reservoir tank to replace the one that split when ice formed in it.

8. Go to store and pick up gallon jug of w/s/w antifreeze for $1.50.

9. Fill system with CORRECT w/s/w/ antifreeze mixture.

CF-Mike
03-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Window cleaner is cheap..... and it contains ingredients to stop it from freezing. I'm not from the east so you might know more than I do on this topic, but I've left bottles of window cleaner outside when it gets below freezing and they have never frozen.

deltaolds
03-12-2007, 09:47 AM
i nyc a gallon of winsheald washer fluid costs about $2.00
if you insist on making your own, add some alcogol(from farmacy, i quart, about $2), this whay it won't freeze, and will disolve what windex can't.

Canuck
03-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Window cleaner is cheap..... and it contains ingredients to stop it from freezing. I'm not from the east so you might know more than I do on this topic, but I've left bottles of window cleaner outside when it gets below freezing and they have never frozen.

Okay.....

Now, do as the OP suggested, and dilute that Windex by more than 50 percent with water......

Then, leave it outside on a night that the temperature drops into the teens for several hours when the sun sets - not to mention single-digit temps.....

Then get back to me.

carmaster
03-12-2007, 10:32 AM
how is this cheaper than the .99 cent bottles they sell at the gas station and walmart? Glass cleaner does freeze, it's frozen in my trunk before.

Canuck
03-12-2007, 10:42 AM
i nyc a gallon of winsheald washer fluid costs about $2.00
if you insist on making your own, add some alcogol(from farmacy, i quart, about $2), this whay it won't freeze, and will disolve what windex can't.

So, instead of spending $2.00 for a gallon of the correct w/s/w fluid, you would spend the same amount for drugstore alcohol that is usually diluted by more than 50 percent with water. (read the label on ANY drugstore alcohol)

Then, you're gonna' dilute it even more by adding it to a gallon of water?

Let's see.....a 50 percent alcohol/water mix diluted four-to-one with a gallon of water amounts to a roughly 12 percent alcohol/water mix. What do you suppose the freezing point of THAT is?

So, now you've spent the same $2.00 you would have spent on w/s/w/ fluid, but you have a diluted mixture that will likely freeze on a NYC winter night when the temps drop to the teens after the sun sets.

Mixing your own will not beat the economies of scale when it comes to w/s/w/ antifreeze.

deltaolds
03-12-2007, 10:50 AM
So, instead of spending $2.00 for a gallon of the correct w/s/w fluid, you would spend the same amount for drugstore alcohol that is usually diluted by more than 50 percent with water. (read the label on ANY drugstore alcohol)

Then, you're gonna' dilute it even more by adding it to a gallon of water?

Let's see.....a 50 percent alcohol/water mix diluted four-to-one with a gallon of water amounts to a roughly 12 percent alcohol/water mix. What do you suppose the freezing point of THAT is?

So, now you've spent the same $2.00 you would have spent on w/s/w/ fluid, but you have a diluted mixture that will likely freeze on a NYC winter night when the temps drop to the teens after the sun sets.

Mixing your own will not beat the economies of scale when it comes to w/s/w/ antifreeze.
of cours not, makes no economical sence to make your own.
i said, if he still wants to do it add alcogol.
btw, it 91% alcogol i was talking about,

blah
03-12-2007, 10:58 AM
shit, as long as it's not cold i just use water.